How does Pool Salt work?
Salt is used in pools that have a salt water chlorinator installed within the pool’s circulation system.
- Diamond Crystal® Pool Salt (NaCl) is poured into the swimming pool water.
- The filter pump is turned on to push water through the salt water chlorinator.
- As the water with salt goes through the chlorinator, the salt is split into two elements: Na and Cl.
- Cl acts a simple form of chlorine, circulating through the pool to kill bacteria and prevent algae growth.
- After cleaning as a simple form of chlorine, the two elements reunite and become Salt (NaCl) again.
- This closed loop system continues indefinitely.
- New salt is needed only if the current amount of the pool water changes, such as significant water splashing out or new water added by rain or hose.
Diamond Crystal® Pool Salts are:
- Over 99% Pure Salt: Leading manufacturers of pool salt chlorinators recommend high purity salt (+ 99% purity) in order to preserve system effectiveness.
- Natural: Our pool salt is made with salt, and salt only.
- Fast Dissolving: Our pool salt dissolves quickly, to get you into the pool faster.